Adding a SCSI controller and SCSI Tape drive

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 14:36:23 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> Ok, just tried another tape drive same deal, when I attempt to access the
> drive with "mt -f /dev/st0 stat" the command hangs, I'm unable to kill the
> process either (same as before)

Check your SCSI cabling and termination. If you have term power enabled on the
device try disabling it and using an external, active, terminator. How long is
the SCSI cable?

Is there an sg3_utils package for FC5? I use RHAS, and find the sg3_utils
package to be exceedingly useful for testing SCSI device comms. It allows you to
send SCSI commands to the device via the sg device driver.

Check your SCSI cabling and termination again...

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555