logrotate failure

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Nov 21 01:10:23 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 20 November 2006 19:00, David G. Miller wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>>> I repeat, no upgrade, fresh install.  But I repeat myself... :)
>>>
>> The important questions is, what happens if you do the following?
>>
>> cd /etc/logrotate.d
>> grep named *
>>
>> On a system with bind installed, you should see:
>>
>> [root at fraud logrotate.d]# grep named *
>> named:/var/log/named.log {
>> named:    create 0644 named named
>> named:        /sbin/service named reload  2> /dev/null > /dev/null ||
>> true
>>

> And I get:
> ===========
> [root at coyote logrotate.d]# grep named *
> named:/var/log/named.log {
> named:    create 0644 named named
> named:        /sbin/service named reload  2> /dev/null > /dev/null || true
> named.rpmnew:/var/log/named.log {
> named.rpmnew:    create 0644 named named
> named.rpmnew:        /sbin/service named reload  2> /dev/null

Actually, here's the clue.  You have both a named file and a
named.rpmnew.  When you installed bind, the installation script detected
AN EXISTING named file in /etc/logrotate.d and installed the new file as
named.rpmnew.  Don't know why you had a named file in logrotate.d
without having bind installed but you did.

logrotate grabs each file in /etc/logrotate.d and attempts to execute
it.  The old named file is your culprit for causing logrotate to die.
It tries to set the new log file to be owned by named.  If this user
doesn't exist, you get the error you saw.

You should be able to uninstall bind, delete any named file still in
/etc/logrotate.d and delete the named user (if removing the rpm doesn't
do that for you).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce