How to wake up my laptop

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Nov 21 07:54:58 UTC 2006

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> With Fedora Core 4, my laptop would not go to sleep when closed, and I
> never got around to worrying about it. Now that I have installed FC6,
> the laptop does go to sleep when closed. However, I haven't found the
> key combination that will wake it back up. Anyone know what that
> should be? Does it vary with the model of laptop?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Robinson

You are now dealing with two types of 'sleep'.

1. Suspend to RAM (suspend).  This is the default behavior from all of
the gnome power settings.  It is also probably not what you expected,
and in your case its is probably simply not working with the modules you
have loaded.  Some of the problem modules are: ndiswrapper, fglrx,
nvidia, and usbserial if there is an active connection.

These may seem obvious, but the default setting in the gnome power
management is suspend to RAM on lid close.  I suggest you go into
preferences and turn all those off.

Suspend to RAM uses a small amount of power to keep the 'state' of the
system in RAM.  This causes the power light on your laptop to blink on
and off slowly.  Recovery fron suspend to RAM is quite fast, and alot
faster than recovery from suspend to disk.

2. Suspend to disk (hibernate).  This is probably what you would intend
to happen, (but maybe not on every lid close) and will probably work.
Again, there are some modules that may cause issues.

There are a couple of settings in the power management preferences that
should be set to 'hibernate' rather than suspend.

Hibernate can also be chosen from the logout menu.

Recovery from both suspend methods, if working, is to simply hit the
power button.

Good luck!