why is xinetd not installed by default in FC6?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Nov 22 18:52:35 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:

> But now I don't understand what role xinetd is/was performing side by
> side with the tcpwrap protection inside ssh's build.

None.  xinetd isn't related to tcp_wrappers.  xinetd doesn't provide
tcp_wrappers, and doesn't even use tcp_wrappers.  xinetd has its own
access control mechanisms.

The advice you got for hosts.allow/hosts.deny is still relevant for any
daemons that you run which use tcp_wrappers.  However, pretty much the
only way to determine whether or not they do is to use "grep" to search
for "hosts.allow" in the server's binary.  Oddly, sshd doesn't match,
even though it supports tcp_wrappers.  I don't have an explanation for
that...