Recommendations for Wireless USB adapters?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Nov 22 23:28:47 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson writes:

> At 10:51 PM -0500 11/21/06, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>[4] Someone should really get on the phone to Intel and just knock some
>>sense into them.  Come on, Intel, really: just release the bloody firmware
>>files for your chipsets on FOSS-friendly terms, so that they can be bundled
>>with Fedora, Debian, and others.  There's really no need to be such putzes
>>any more.  Everyone is just tired of this silliness, let's just get this
>>done right so that everyone can move on with their livesŠ
>
> Are you sure that there isn't still a need for the firmware to be
> proprietary, in order to comply with FCC (and I expect EU) regulations
> about operation of a radio transmitter?  Did the FCC requirements change
> recently?

No, but nothing in FCC requirements requires proprietary firmware.  The
manufacturers are just too fscking lazy to properly implement the necessary
limitations in hardware, instead fobbing it off to software.

But that's completely irrelevant.  Nobody cares about the source code for
the firmware image.  The only issue is to allow the image itself to be
redistributable.