XPCOM programming on FC5

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 22:42:11 UTC 2006

Ian Malone wrote:
> (I'm asking here because the problem, while widespread,
> seems to be dependent on the particular platform)
>
> I'm trying to follow this tutorial to create a C++
> XPCOM component:
> http://www.iosart.com/firefox/xpcom/
>
> I've managed to build and install it, but I'm running into:
> Type error: Components.classes[cid] has no properties
>
> When trying to use the component in Firefox.
> So: has anyone here successfully built an XPCOM C++
> component using mozilla-devel on FC5 for Firefox?
> Has anyone followed this tutorial before?
> Does anyone know why it might be refusing to register?
> (The sample component was showing up in xpti.dat,
> but not compreg.dat, now it's showing up in either
> and I'm not sure what I changed).

Thanks to biesi on irc.mozilla.org I tracked this down
to a linking problem, and I can now build using the
gecko-sdk from Mozilla (the Makefile also needed
adjusting to put libraries after the source files, took
a while to spot).

Am I wrong in thinking I should be able to link against
mozilla-devel rather than having to use gecko-sdk?

--
imalone