I chickened out - but it's up

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:07:21 UTC 2006

> chkconfig sets it to run on boot, service starts, stops, and restarts
> immediately.  chkconfig --list will give you the list of services
> (hence the command service)

On the topic of FC vs Ubuntu services - Fedora has different runlevels
than Ubuntu.

/etc/inittab describes each runlevel.  When you issue the 'chkconfig'
command, it only turns on/off the service in the current runlevel,
unless you specify otherwise:

chkconfig --level 3 <service>  <- turns <service> on in runlevel 3
chkconfig --level 35 <service>  <- turns <service> on in runlevel 3 and 5

I only mention this in case you switch to text-only or graphical mode
and wonder why your services haven't been started...

Chris