Metrics and your privacy

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 27 03:18:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:39:05 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out there
> and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling thoughts and
> ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and comment.  What are you,
> the community, most comfortable with?  Where's the line where you'd
> check the check box to not participate?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
>
>            -Mike

"No uuids, please."

Unique identifier tracking is an unnecessary invasion of privacy.

Having read the RFC, you can probably meet the stated purpose (a general
measure of installed base, and release/architecture/package popularity)
least offensively by coordinating the existing mirror server logs.

That's the "two cents" I want to register, as long as you're asking for
wider feedback (and props to you for that, BTW).

--Jack Spaar