Open Office Problem

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Nov 27 15:17:43 UTC 2006

Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:
>> > Open Office has suddenly decided that the file open dialogue box should
>> > freeze the program.
>>

> When it is frozen, can you open a terminal window and
> issue the following commands:
>
> df
> mount
>
> Do they hang as well?
>
> Mogens
I didn't try either of those but the system seemed to be normal
otherwise.  That is, I was able to use Firefox for web access,
Thunderbird for reading e-mail, etc.  I doubt if the disk was frozen
since my work-around worked: double click on a file icon, edit the file,
save the file.

ulrich <captin.kirk at arcor.de> wrote:

>  Are you sure that there not another pop-up active, which you need to
> acknowledge first.
> I had this serveral times that on another desktop you need to acknowledge
> something. OO only seems to be frozen...
> For some reason active pop-up don't show up on top.
>
> ulrich
Absolutely sure.  Before rebooting the system I restarted X (I normally
run systems at run level 3 and then use startx from the command line to
bring up the X window system).  After starting X from a command prompt,
I was able to recreate the problem.  Also, when starting OO, I was
always seeing the "splash" screen.

Since an X restart didn't solve the problem but a reboot did, I'm
thinking there is a service that OO utilizes that had stalled or died.
I have no idea which one.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce