Configuring ip address

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 05:37:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 09:08 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I've come from kubuntu Linux, and I see different tools are used in
> Fedora for network configuration.
>
> In kubuntu, I was prompted for a machine name during install. After
> getting the system up, I'd edit /etc/network/interfaces to set the
> static ip address I want to use on my subnet, do an ifdown, ifup and I
> was there.
>
> In Fedora, I wasn't prompted for a machine name on the subnet, and there
> is no /etc/network/interfaces file to edit. While I know this is just a
> matter of getting used to a different way of doing things, I don't see
> the silver bullet in the documentation (which probably means that it's
> conspicuous and obvious - one of Murphy's Laws, I think).
>
> Would someone be so kind as to help me get the the machine name set and
> switch from the dynamic IP to a static ip on my subnet? I see the kde
> network configurator, but (as this can really break things), I wanted to
> check with you experts first.
>
> As always - thanks in advance.
Did you get a reply?? Network Configuration is the standard gui-setup
tool. In KDE I find it under "Administration". Also, you'll want to look
for 'services' in your menu, which will edit the deamons that you may
wish to run or not have running. Check 'view' and select "ALL runlevels"
so you can have httpd running in level 3 and 5. Stuff like that. Enjoy!!
I think you'll like it here, this place is the schnitzel. Ric