Proposed changes for fedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Nov 30 04:07:20 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:07:38 -0800 (PST)
> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> with two separate products, named "Fedora
>> Desktop" and "Fedora Server", emerging from the huge
>> software list
>
> Gah. Idiotic. Start down this road and pretty soon you've
> got Fedora Workstation Server and Fedora Enterprise Server
> and Fedora KDE Desktop and Fedora Gnome Desktop. Forget
> the idiotic and arbitrary classifications like this.
> One distribution. One fedora. Keep it simple.

My thought exactly!  Older RH distributions had two options, "minimal"
and "everything." Isn't that what kickstart files are for, to allow
selecting a canned subset? It doesn't look as if FC6 creates a useful ks
file, I customized hell out of some and they were tiny and incomplete,
but there's a sys-conf-ks tool which might help.

Other than the tiny install for someone doing mail/browsing only, my
"desktops" have servers, many of my servers have desktop or development
tools, etc. The world is not divided into neat little buckets, and any
attempt to have a size for everyone would create confusion and possibly
a unique bugset. Bleah!

Maybe have the install come with a number of kickstart file...

Why are the DVDs so small? It would be possible to put almost everything
in 8.5GB, and use two DVDs for people who want to burn their own but
lack a modern burner. Virtually every recent DVD reader will do
double-sided 8.5GB, you need it for movies :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a