can't play avi file

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 30 07:16:27 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wed November 29 2006 1:51 am, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>
>>Ric Moore wrote:

>>>I think the prob is to find something that will play back HDV, which I
>>>assume is High Def Video... I assume. Googling finds users using
>>>Cinelerra from Freshrpms. I'm dnloading it and you might do the same.
>>>See if it will accept either the stream or the file for viewing. This is
>>>really troublshooting with a shotgun, but I wanted to see if I could
>>>make that file go for my own self! Good luck and Good Night. Ric
>>
>>Ric,
>>
>>I tried videolan-client (vlc) which I have been told worked for
>>this video on MS.
>>
>>I had not thought of Cinelerra. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe
>>I'll have time to try it on Thursday.
>>
>>Darlene
>

> Getting Cinelerra to do what you want could be daunting. Finding a build for
> FC3 will be the first challenge, then, finding all the dependencies for that
> build - at the end of that road, I really don't see why it would play given
> all the travails you guys are having. I did try the .avi of the German
> professor starting his lecture - is this the one you're all trying to play?
> Pardon me as I've not been following this whole thread. On my FC6 box with
> the "all-codecs" package from the Hungarian mplayer site, and the mplayer
> packages from FreshRPM's, I had no problem playing it

Claude,

I use the following repos:

dag, fedora, fedora-devel, fedora-updates.repo, freshrpms,
fedora-extras, macromedia-i386, fedora-legacy, python24

When I run "yum list updates" I don't see codecs listed.
I thought I got all the codecs I could find when I
first downloaded mplayer but I don't see any nor a
link for win32. btw, I use FC3 - I know, I know, I
need to upgrade to FC6.

So it looks like it may not be a problem with my
graphics card?

I also installed vlc (videolan-client) and from a forum
I may be SOL - a version of a library I need is not available
for FC3.

Darlene