firefox slow rendering (e.g. wikipedia)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 22:42:13 UTC 2006

David Boles wrote:

> Ian Malone wrote:
>> taharka wrote:
>>> How do again,

>>> I suggest you go to the link Scott provided you & read the documentation
>>> for that extension for yourself. If it's still unclear, there's a link
>>> to the authors site. His site will tell you anything you want to know
>>> regarding the noscript extension ;-) Plus, you can email him.
>>>
>> I'd agree Clodoaldo's response wasn't really necessary,
>> however he's right that the JavaScript heavy sites tend
>> to be ones like Gmail that need it.  I'm also not really
>> happy with use Konqueror/Opera/A Mac type answers because
>> I know FF on the same machine under windows works fine,
>> and I doubt that it's windows causing the difference.
>>
>> I've just tried the binary version of 1.5.0.8 from
>> Mozilla and it won't run (seemingly library problems),
>> maybe I'll give 2.0 a go.
>

> Get the Firefox 2.0 from Mozilla. It is much improved over 1.5.0.8 and
> the Mozilla Firefox runs and displays much faster than the Fedora rpms.
>
> After you have installed Firefox run it from a terminal window and it
> will tell you what compat library file it is missing.
>
> yum what provides <name>
>
> will tell you the exact name of the compat library package that you need
> to install.

The Firefox 2.0 binary JustWorks. I had tried 1.5.0.8 for the
sake of direct comparison, but the error message at the terminal
is not very useful, just "bus error" with a number and the line
from mozilla-run.sh that called the binary.  (And I do have
compat-libstdc++-33 installed)

You are right that the 2.0 binary has much better performance
than the FC5 1.5 RPM.

--
imalone