Reinstalling grub?

Anoop Chandran anoopcj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 06:09:19 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote:

> >On 10/10/06, Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote:
> >> I have WinXP installed on the first hard drive and FC5 on the second.
> >>  I was using grub as the boot loader but it was destroyed when I had
> >> to reload Winblows.  I'm sure that I can start FC from a CD and mount
> >> the second drive but how do I reload grub?  Any pointers would be
> >> greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Knute Johnson
> >> Molon Labe...
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >Hi Knute Johnson!
> >
> >Some other possible solutions;
> >
> >1. Make the FC5 HDD the bootable drive and simpley place XP in the menu.
> >
> >2. Use the XP boot loader to boot to FC5.
>
> I'm curious how you would do that?
>
> Thanks,

Yeah this can be done.
1. You need to have the bootloader (Grub) installed on the MBR of boot
partition (which would contain /boot)
2. Make an image of MBR of this partition. (you could use dd and get the
first 512 bytes [bs=512] )
3. Copy this image to your win-xp and add an entry for this in boot.ini (if
i am right)

Now win-xp bootloader would chain-load (?) the linux bootloader.