[Fedora] Re: Outside access

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Oct 11 19:48:06 UTC 2006

Mark Haney wrote:
> You can use cygwin/ssh.  We do that all the time.
    While I agree with this, there's a very (VERY) high probability that
the outside person would need something graphical on their end.  And (at
the moment) not knowing what platform they're on - I'm waiting for an
e-mail reply - I can't even begin to offer solutions.  But I figured if
i can at least get the ball rolling here, it might give me some ideas of
how best to approach this problem.

    Preferred would be some drag-n-drop interface on their machine.
Whether they're on Windows or Mac, they would need to have access to a
specific folder on our (Windows) file server (which in and by itself is
another headache since the file server does not employ any kind of user
login, it's just set up for guest access and any John, Jane, and Jekyll
in the building can access it and everything on it.)

    Another possibility I thought of was to have an specific (user)
folder on one of our internet servers (FC5) and have them ftp into
that.  Then through samba, have that folder also available on our
internal network.  This protects against outside access all the way into
our network, but does require me to do a bit more legwork.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.