Newly installed 2 CPU Xeon 5130 hangs

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 18 14:08:55 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Peter Møller Neergaard wrote:
>> Over the weekend, we installed a new server based on two Xeon 5130
>> processors.  We installed Fedora Core 5 and updated to the latest
>> versions on the package.
>
> Good.
>
>> Since installing the server, we've two times experienced that the server
>> completely hang: all processes became unresponsive and there was no longer
>> generated any log information.
It sometimes works out that you might still be able to ssh in from a
remote machine and get some logs/dmesg, run top.

On a Dell Poweredge 750 {and I think other models see Dell forums} with
FC3, if runlevel 5 was used or started, then an X process would go
99-10%, making the machine severely slow. {It required a reboot to get
around this condition}. Just a thought.

 >> In both cases we had to hard reboot the
>> machine.  The first time after 3 hours, the second time after 30 minutes.
You might also be able to leave some xterms open running top and tail -f
/var/log/messages to see if anything is being logged.

Another thing to try would be a serial console, since any emissions
before death would then be easily captured. Boot with
console=ttyS0,9600n1 or some such and fire up minicom on another machine
and use a null {crossover} serial cable.

Good luck.

DaveT.