Can't boot kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Oct 23 15:03:21 UTC 2006

Mel wrote:
> I didn't get a response to my last post so I must have done something
> wrong. Let me try again with a different subject.
>
> I am trying to solve a boot problem.
>
> What I think happened was that a series of fast AC power transients
> caused my system to attempt power recover many( don't know how many)
> times quickly.
>
> A file somewhere is corrupt. I cannot boot into
> kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 without getting a panic.
>
> I can boot into kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 with no problem.
>
> Thanks to some help here, I removed and reinstalled
> kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.
>
> This did not solve the problem. After reinstalling, I still get the
> panic with kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 and kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 still
> boots OK.
>
> What power recovery related file might be corrupt that would affect one
> kernel and not another but not be deleted/replaced with a remove and
> reinstall of the kernel?
>
> Mel

There is a problem with the new FC-5 kernel when you have / on raid 5
arrays.  mkinitrd is trying to load raid5 when it should be loading
raid456.  If this is your problem, then the fix is to boot into a
working kernel and do:

mkinitrd -vf --with=raid456 /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.img \
2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

There is a bz on this, don't recall the number.

HTH.

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)