Bad SATA devices performance

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 24 14:59:53 UTC 2006

ArcosCom Linux User wrote:
> The problem comes when I burn a DVD ISO in a blank DVD.
>
> I lost all my graphical interface to continue working in other aplications
> (as firefox, openoffice, thunderbird).
>
> When I say "lost", I want to say that all graphical system (and system
> performance) slow down drastically. I notice that "average load" in
> "gnome-performance-monitor" goes up, but CPU a bit loaded only.
>
> Any tool, kernel param, or anything that allow me to diagnose and solve
> this problem?
>
> My laptop appears to have any intel ¿"ICH"? controller (I don't know at
> this moment).
>
> Thanks
>
> El Mar, 24 de Octubre de 2006, 13:34, David Timms escribió:

I have an IHC controller on my Toshiba Laptop.  There was a kernel
change some time ago that allowed my laptop to work with DVD's and speed
up the speed of access.  There are two areas to check.

The BIOS may be trying to run the SATA drives as IDE drives.  There is
also a flag for the kernel that will enable DMA for the SATA drives.
The laptop is at home but I am at work.  I sent the info home and this
was one of the settings I changed.

libata.atapi_enabled=1 in the modprobe.conf file

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762