FC6 seems to be a mess

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Oct 25 11:16:11 UTC 2006

Alastair Neil wrote:

> Well for the first time I can remember a Fedora release did not install
> properly on my plain old vanilla Dell Optiplex 270.  I used a usb thumb
> drive to start the install.

Nooo .... I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 to upgrade. I had trouble going
from FC4 to FC5 via the installer so had to resort to other methods to
upgrade the system to FC5. I am not sure if a 270 and GX270 make any
difference with the outcome.

> Installing the ata_piix driver module takes over a minute because of all
> the sata time out nonsense.
>
> After completing the install and rebooting grub was screwed up.  the
> device.map was referencing (hd0) to /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda and on
> top of that the entries in the grub.conf were pointed to the wrong disks
> too (hd1,0), double whammy.

Thanks for the note: I'll check these items out before rebooting the
system, if the installer works this time for upgrading.
Grub seems to be more troublesome lately than I remember previously. The
double wrong steps are a bit alarming. I have two sata 80GB drives on
the system which are /dev/sda now. I better check before rebooting that
they did not change to /dev/hdx devices.

> DHCP seemed to take an age to pick up an ip address.
>
> The much vaunted improvements in yum dependency checks were not in
> evidence during the install when the initial dependency check took an
> age even though I had not customised anything.
>
> I surprised to see that there was no X configuration during first boot,
> and also surprised that it needed to reboot after first boot.
>
> Unpleasantly it then rebooted to a command line prompt - no X.
>
> I will try and file bugzilla reports on these tomorrow, however I'm
> pretty shocked.  If I were a casual user and not a long time Fedora lag
> I'd run not walk from this distro.

Noted on the things to look out for.
Jim

--
We're living in a golden age.  All you need is gold.
		-- D.W. Robertson.