Apple Cinema 23"

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 10:30:00 UTC 2006

On Oct 25 fredex did spake thusly:

> I think I saw in an earlier post in this thread that you don't even
> see text from the BIOS at bootup time. While I don't know anything
> about DVI, I'd think that if the monitor/cable/video card were
> working right that you SHOULD see such text.

I had a strange issue earlier, using the beta nvidia driver...I'd
installed an acpi module for frequency scaling, failed to install an ntfs
module but left the mount command in /etc/fstab - so the acpi module
insert was tried and failed (no such device) and the mount init command
was [Failed] on account of the bad ntfs line.

What I was seeing was:
initial kernel stuff on boot.
Switch to X gui for interactive boot - which then showed the failed
module insert and mount
Then a black screen with a mouse cursor and nothing more
And switching to a different tty just gives me a completely black screen

I resolved both these issues and got X back

If you're seeing up to the switch to X for interactive startup...maybe
it's a similar issue? If you're seeing nothing whatsoever after the bios
POST, no kernel messages at all, then perhaps it's not ;)

IF you're seeing nothing at all, no POST either, then I'd blame your
GPU...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003