Fedora Core 6 ROCKS ! Salute to the developers !

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 29 22:41:56 UTC 2006

David G. Miller wrote:
> or people trying to do an unsupported upgrade (it's unsupported for a
>  reason).

And the reason being? Upgrading from release to release may be
problematic to a degree. It is possible though. I have been going from
release to release even back when up2date and the rhn update site was
the place to get updates. Simply replacing the fedora-release package
back then would allow one to upgrade via an unsupported format.
This is Linux! People have options for upgrading. It is not noise, it is
passing on information of problems encountered during the upgrades and
what one does to resolve the problems.

> Unfortunately, these complaints create a lot of noise that
> someone new to the list might mistake for systemic problems.

Maybe there are problems one reads into the postings one may read on the
mailing lists. This is not a forum where one worries too much if someone
puts off upgrading a release because of fears of possible problems. We
are not a propaganda list where only glorious, smooth success stories
are presented.

> The only problem I saw on my test box (clean install preserving /home)
> was the kernel headers problem.  I'll be installing FC6 on a x86_64
> laptop and a dual Athlon system later today (just preserving /home).

Yum upgrade put the right architecture on the computers I have upgraded.
I did two yum upgrades and one using the installer so far.

Anyway! As I expressed earlier, FC6 works great for me so far and is
better than previous release versions that I tried before.

Also, I feel the developers were well co-ordinated and wise in making
the choices that they did, leading up to this release.

If you feel brave, come up to FC6. If you feel safe and weary, stay back
until others run through the release.

Jim

--
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention,
with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequilla.