"Pocket Printserver" Dongle doesn't work with (64 bit) Fedora 6

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Mon Oct 30 03:55:53 UTC 2006

Through previous editions of Fedora and Red Hat I have blundered into
making this Ethernet to parallel printer box  work (on a Laserjet 6MP).
    For some reason, now it doesn't.  I believed it was a Dlink product,
although all it says on the box is "Model PRS-301PE.  I used
system-config-printer and set up an LPR connection using the box's fixed
IP address (of which I am certain) and port number 9100, of which I am
reasonably sure).  When I click on the "print test page" box there is no
indication of any kind of error situation, other than nothing happening
with the printer.

Just to try something different I selected "Samba" instead of "LPR" and
used the address of the box that appears in Windows and Samba.  Again,
nothing.

Below is the resulting printers.conf file:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.4
# Written by cupsd on 2006-10-29 22:28
<DefaultPrinter LaserPrinter>
Info HPLJ6MP
DeviceURI lpd://192.168.1.20/9100
State Stopped
StateMessage Connected to 192.168.1.20...
StateTime 1162083935
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
<Printer SMBLJ6MP>
Info SMBLJ6MP
DeviceURI smb://PS-5619D6/p1
State Idle
StateTime 1162178926
Accepting Yes
______

I tried temporarily relaxing SE Linux, to no avail.

For reference, yes this setup works, and has always worked, with various
flavors of Windoze.

--
David Liguori