smart package mgr question?

norm norm at workingtools.ca
Sun Oct 1 01:46:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:44:12 -0400
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 30 September 2006 15:45, Claude Jones wrote:
> >On Sat September 30 2006 3:17 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings all;
> >>
> >> I just ran smart pkg mgr on my FC5 lappy, and any cups I click
> >> on claims it will downgrade 3 packages if I exec it.  What the
> >> heck?  Yumex doesn't seem to have that problem.
> >
> >SMART is doing what it's supposed to do. It offers an upgradeable
> >file, but, because all the mirrors haven't caught up, or because
> >someone forgot to update a spec file, or because I forgot to
> >take my meds this am, SMART is warning you that it will have to
> >downgrade two other packages in order to upgrade the first -
> >sometimes, that can be very useful. Yumex can't get that
> >sophisticated, and just returns a failed dependencies error in
> >the same situation.
> >
> Well, yumex is doing it, 168 megs worth of updates, seemingly without
> developing a tummy ache.
>
> >now - 'bout those meds.....
>
> Yeah.  Can I recommend Noni Juice?
>
> >--
> >Claude Jones
> >Brunswick, Md, USAI

Ran Smart Package Manger once and never again.  I had to reload many of
the applications I prefer to use after smart  package decide to remove
them.  The worst thing was it decide to force the issue on the
gnome/kde debate.  Smart Package decide I was not to use gnome removed
it and loaded kde for me instead.  In the end I had such a mess that
the best thing to do was a full reinstal.
Norm