smart package mgr question?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Oct 1 03:19:25 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 18:38, Kam Leo wrote:
> > I don't usually accept the downgrades when they're offered,
> > but, I have found those situations useful for other reasons.
> > I'd still bet some other package was being modified that
> > could only work by reverting your cups, and it gave you that
> > choice. As to comparing to Yum, it's almost surely the case
> > that Yum did not hit the same mirrors as Smart, and even if
> > it did, it did so at a different point in time. I have found
> > plenty of weirdness with yum as well, but my general view now
> > is wait - 90% or more of issues that come up during updating
> > will be fixed by waiting a while.
>
> This problem normally occurs when the repositories for smart
> are not the same as those set up for yum.

I run Smart on all my FC5 boxes, and Yumex as well. They are
configured the same, though I haven't bothered to enter all the
mirrors in Smart that are looked up by Yumex - it's one area
where Smart is a bit cumbersome, so I haven't bothered. So, the
repos are exactly the same on my machines for both package
managers, but the Yumex configuration has more mirrors to try.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA