Replacing/Adding new hard disk to FC5

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sun Oct 1 04:22:47 UTC 2006

I have an old Dell Optiplex GX240 with BIOS A05 (latest available,
2002-08-16) and 1G memory (max supported)

It has a 40G hard disk but it is very nearly full....

I'd like to add a second drive, somewhere in the 250G range.... but is
the max disk size allowed a function of the BIOS or just the operating
system?

And, if I just shut the system down (Fedora Core 5) and install the new
drive, will it be detected automatically when I restart? And how do I
make use of it so my whole disk space looks larger?

For example, I have one user that's close to using the entire 40G hard
disk (less OS stuff)... can I add a new hard disk, and somehow make that
space available as part of /home so that user can just "grow onto the
new drive"?

I do have LVM, but I've done anything with it since first choosing that
option when installing way back back when?

Are there features in FC6 to make this better? Is it worth waiting for?
(FC6 is only a week or two away last I saw)

Thanks for any tips/pointers/caveats. :-)

Don