smart package mgr question?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 1 09:55:30 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> True, but ... the classical situation when apt/smart try to downgrade is
> resolving broken package deps inside of an installed system.
> apt and smart diagnose them and try to resolve them (by downgrading),
> yum doesn't diagnose these problems and lets users believe "everything
> is OK", while it actually isn't.
>
> I.e. the fact yum doesn't complain, doesn't mean it is right.

I have run into problems where apt tries to fix the repository issues
and fails and doesnt let me perform other operations like updating a
package which is completely unrelated to repo breakages.

I rather run a separate program or enable a different switch to debug
and fix unrelated repository issues for this reason.  Yum would however
complain if you have a unresolved dependency in the package you are
trying to install which serves my purpose. I dont need it to perform a
general repository health check everytime I try to do something with in
any package in the repository. That sort of thing can be a plugin IMO.

Rahul