Why not just mount the audio CD [was: Re: Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?]

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 1 13:38:14 UTC 2006

On 2006-09-27 17:45:25, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
wrote:

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for software to rip CD's..
> I'm also looking for comments on the relative advantages of ripping
> to mp3 versus wav files and the 'best' software to play those
> files back from the harddrive.
> I am presently using aplay in a for loop script but I need something
> better. My present wav files were ripped with cdda2wav under
> OS/2. what is the equivalent for linux/Fedora?
> Suggestions please.
>
>              R. Geoffrey Newbury                  Helping with the
> HTTP issue
> computer)
>

> If you have the disk space, use wav as it provides a true copy of the
> original.  Next use flac as it is a lossless format and
> provides a decent way to backup your music without losing any quality.
> You can rebuild your CD's from the flac files.  Mp3's are a
> lossy format.  Ogg is a lossy format.
>
> I use Grip to rip to flac.
(SNIP)

Sorry to bring this up a tad late (away and didn't get back until
yesterday), but the ripping to get the ".wav" files always puzzles me,
especially when someone only wants to "rip" TO a ".wav" file.

Why not just use the cdfs software -- available at
	http://trappist.elis.ugent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/
-- and just mount the audio cd?

I've been using cdfs (download the software, make sure you have the
kernel source installed, make, make install, then mount -t cdfs
/dev/cdrom /mnt/<whatever>) since at least early 2002 without any
problems.  I'm on FC5 now and I merely do a rebuild and reinstall the
cdfs.ko, insmod it, then do a depmod -a.

It works, and I have had no problems with it for years.

About FLAC ...

My only problem with the above poster's suggestion is that while flac
is lossless, the files are typically significantly larger (4-6x as
larger) than the associated '.mp3' files.  If space is an issue, then
lossless flac may not do the trick. :-(  (Sometimes, I use flac, too,
BTW...)

william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."