Gdm won't start after updates on FC5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Oct 2 01:18:39 UTC 2006

Nigel Henry wrote:

> I can bootup into init3 ok, and startX takes me directly into Gnome, which
> doesn't help much, as I use KDE.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what's gone wrong with Gdm since the
> updates?  Gdm is still installed, and verified by rpm -q -a gdm, and shows
> version -2.14.9-1
>
> Nigel.

If you run a program called switchdesk from the terminal, you might be
able to get kde to start from the terminal. I  have no idea about the
gdm problem. The power outage might have caused some data loss for gdm
related items.
switchdesk kde
Then you can run startx to see if KDE comes up for you. If switchdesk is
not found, you might install it with your update retrieval/installer
program.
switchdesk should be run as the user who you want to have the desktop.

Jim