Re: smart package mgr question?

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 01:14:35AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Smart uses a different dependency resolving algorithm that offers to downgrade packages automatically. RPM is not designed for downgrades

One of the core features of rpm from the very beginning was to
downgrades and uninstalls so the user is able to revert from a bad
package.

I didnt see any RPM design documents mention downgrades so I am curious where you got this impression from. A few examples,

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch01s02.html
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-intro-to-rpm-rpm-design-goals.html

While there are command line arguments that would let RPM perform downgrades and even ignore dependencies, I wouldnt claim it was designed for such things.

Rahul