FC5 "suspend" does partial work??

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Mon Oct 2 15:47:49 UTC 2006

El Lunes, 2 de Octubre de 2006 17:38, Paul ZHU escribió:
> Hello,
>
> my CPU is AMD Athlon64 3000+,MBoard is 939NF4G-SATA2,which Nvida
> chipset.
>
> When I try to use "suspend", the PC can stop work,i.e screen becames
> black,cpu fan stop running.etc.that seems ok.
>
> but when I try to wake it up by pressing keyboard, it didn't wakeup,
> then I push the "Power" Button and quickly release, the cpu fan is
> running now, but screen is still black. so, I cann't use my PC.
>
> I have to reboot it by pressing the "Power" button more than a few
> seconds , then it shutdown and I release it and press it again, now it
> start rebooting.
>
> so, how can I let "suspend" works successfully?
>
> Thank you all very much!
>
> Paul ZHU

I've been experimenting similar problems on my Thinkpad, no Nvidia onboard, in
fact, i read some reviews a week ago, and seem to be several problems with
suspend when we're talking about Nvidia.

By the way, when my laptop came from the suspend, all was running (xmms, for
instance), so i thought that maybe Xorg problem, not suspend at all.

I added:
  Option "VBERestore" "true"

On xorg.conf device options and, at least, for me, works fine.
Also, i ought to say that i'm using one customized script to suspend my
laptop, here you're:

#!/bin/sh

# discover video card's ID
ID=`lspci | grep VGA | awk '{ print $1 }' | sed -e 's at 0000:@@' -e 's@:@/@'`

# securely create a temporary file
TMP_FILE=`mktemp /var/tmp/video_state.XXXXXX`
trap 'rm -f $TMP_FILE' 0 1 15

# switch to virtual terminal 1 to avoid graphics
# corruption in X
chvt 1

# write all unwritten data (just in case)
sync

# dump current data from the video card to the
# temporary file
cat /proc/bus/pci/$ID > $TMP_FILE

# suspend
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

# restore video card data from the temporary file
# on resume
cat $TMP_FILE > /proc/bus/pci/$ID

# switch back to virtual terminal 7 (running X)
chvt 7

# remove temporary file
rm -f $TMP_FILE

Hope this help