Re: Why not just mount the audio CD [was: Re: Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?]

William W. Austin wrote:

Sorry to bring this up a tad late (away and didn't get back until yesterday), but the ripping to get the ".wav" files always puzzles me, especially when someone only wants to "rip" TO a ".wav" file.

Why not just use the cdfs software -- available at
    http://trappist.elis.ugent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/
-- and just mount the audio cd?

...probably because that really doesn't make anything easier. Ripping is transparent in most applications. I can't imagine that it's any more difficult in user space than kernel space, and most applications apply error detection, which cdfs doesn't.

So, ripping is easier and produces higher quality results. That's why most people don't use cdfs.