Why not just mount the audio CD [was: Re: Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?]

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Oct 2 16:04:53 UTC 2006

William W. Austin wrote:

> Sorry to bring this up a tad late (away and didn't get back until
> yesterday), but the ripping to get the ".wav" files always puzzles me,
> especially when someone only wants to "rip" TO a ".wav" file.
>
> Why not just use the cdfs software -- available at
>     http://trappist.elis.ugent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/
> -- and just mount the audio cd?

...probably because that really doesn't make anything easier.  Ripping
is transparent in most applications.  I can't imagine that it's any more
difficult in user space than kernel space, and most applications apply
error detection, which cdfs doesn't.

So, ripping is easier and produces higher quality results.  That's why
most people don't use cdfs.