Gdm won't start after updates on FC5

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 2 23:00:52 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 00:27, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Jim. This whole problem seems to have been caused by updates having
> > installed another version of librsvg2, so I ended up with.
> > librsvg2     2.14.4-1.fc5.1      (the correct one)
> > and
> > librsvg2    2.14.2-1    (an earlier version, which shows up on the
> > versions list in synaptic)
>
> I had a version with fc5 left on my system along with the fc6 version
> installed via a yum upgrade to fc6. I removed only the database entry
> with rpm.
>
> > No third party repo's were involved in the updates, just the 3 which came
> > with apt (core, updates, and extras).
> >
> > I could not remove the earlier version, and kept getting a transaction
> > failed because part of the removal meant getting access
> > to /etc/gtk-2.0/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders, and the
> > transaction failed message said it was looking for the gdk-pixbuf.loaders
> > file in /etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu.
> >
> > To remove the earlier version of librsvg2, I've had to create a link
> > in /etc/gtk-2.0 to trick synaptic into thinking that
> > "i386-redhat-linux-gnu" exists.
>
> For future reference, the program rpm has options to force package
> removal, just remove the database entry, install older versions of
> packages. This is probably better than needing to make links. It worked
> for you, so the end result matters most.
>
> > #cd /etc/gtk-2.0
> > ln -s i686-redhat-linux-gnu i386-redhat-linux-gnu
> >
> > Now librsvg 2.14.2-1  removes ok, and I think I'll leave the link there
> > for the time being in case there are any more problems.
>
> To be sure that some of the files needed for the version left installed
> were not removed with removing the dual version of librsvg2, you might
> want to rpm -qV librsvg2 for this package to see if anything fails the
> test. If the results come back blank, it verified OK.
> If it is missing any files, rpm has options such as --replacefiles and
> --replacepkgs which will overwrite any files with the package content
> ones. This will fix the package to being complete.

I checked that, and /usr/lib showed the files for librsvg2 were missing, so I
removed librsvg2, then reinstalled it and the files came back, then
reinstalled gdm, rebooted, and have got the gdm login screen again. All a bit
weird, and can't understand how the earlier package for librsvg got installed
with the updates causing these problems. Anyway it's fixed, and had a bit of
fun on the CLI.

> > Prior to doing the above removal, I'd removed gdm, and next time I booted
> > I got a different display manager, a plain blue one with Fedora on it,
> > but no bubbles, and the login box in the centre of the screen. I'm
> > presuming it is kdm.
>
> There is gdm, kdm and xdm. If you installed the default software, kdm is
> not installed, you probably are seeing xdm. It is plain but does its job
> with no frills.

I did install KDE with the FC5 install, but am still not sure which display
manager I was seeing. I've got kdm on Debian, but this looked a bit
different. Who cares, as long as it works!

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel.