Gdm won't start after updates on FC5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Oct 3 03:14:16 UTC 2006

Nigel Henry wrote:
>> To be sure that some of the files needed for the version left installed
>> were not removed with removing the dual version of librsvg2, you might
>> want to rpm -qV librsvg2 for this package to see if anything fails the
>> test. If the results come back blank, it verified OK.
>> If it is missing any files, rpm has options such as --replacefiles and
>> --replacepkgs which will overwrite any files with the package content
>> ones. This will fix the package to being complete.
>
> I checked that, and /usr/lib showed the files for librsvg2 were missing, so I
> removed librsvg2, then reinstalled it and the files came back, then
> reinstalled gdm, rebooted, and have got the gdm login screen again. All a bit
> weird, and can't understand how the earlier package for librsvg got installed
> with the updates causing these problems. Anyway it's fixed, and had a bit of
> fun on the CLI.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the exposure to the CLI in order to get GDM
working again. Regarding the problem with librsvg2, it was probably an
earlier packaging error either with the older package removal or the
newer package installation. I had the librsvg2 package still listed in
my rpm database even after upgrading to FC6 via yum. It had an fc5 tag.
I don't know if the package was named the same as the version you mentioned.

>>> Prior to doing the above removal, I'd removed gdm, and next time I booted
>>> I got a different display manager, a plain blue one with Fedora on it,
>>> but no bubbles, and the login box in the centre of the screen. I'm
>>> presuming it is kdm.
>> There is gdm, kdm and xdm. If you installed the default software, kdm is
>> not installed, you probably are seeing xdm. It is plain but does its job
>> with no frills.
>
> I did install KDE with the FC5 install, but am still not sure which display
> manager I was seeing. I've got kdm on Debian, but this looked a bit
> different. Who cares, as long as it works!

Exactly!
Jim

--
"Why can't we ever attempt to solve a problem in this country without having
a 'War' on it?" -- Rich Thomson, talk.politics.misc