VNC problem - now more understood - but a solution?

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:01:46 UTC 2006

Raman Gupta wrote:

>have a work-around that works for me. Before starting up x11vnc, I run
>
>DISPLAY=:0 xset -dpms
>
>After my VNC session, I restore dpms
>
>DISPLAY=:0 xset +dpms
>
>Unfortunately, this wakes up the remote monitor, and disables sleep
>mode, but it works. YMMV.

Thanks - though I have seen postings elsewhere saying that it is
possible to use
vbetool dpms on
or
vbetool dpms off

See "man vbetool"

Apparently xset sometimes does not use the dpms system even though X
is supposed to - maybe this is why the unexpected behaviour occurs
after you have used those commands?

I understand that vbetool runs bios commands so might not have the
unexpected behaviour - it will be interesting to see any further
replies on this - and maybe other suggestions for workarounds?

--

mike cohler