No Sectors left of 120GB Drive

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 6 01:18:56 UTC 2006

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 03:02 -0700, jdow wrote:
>> As a side note the partition tables the Amiga had actually could
>> support descriptions for nested data partitions quite safely. There
>> were "reserved" blocks at the head of a partition and similar reserved
>> blocks at the end of a partition space. I explored these possibilities
>> as I wrote the partitioning software supplied by a major Amiga hard
>> disk controller manufacturer.
>
> And there wasn't any of this primary / extended / logical partitions
> inside extended partitions, gobbledygook, either.  It was just
> partitions inside the drive.
>
> Speaking of Amigas, have you got Fedora to read any Amiga FFS hard
> drives, or even Zip discs?  I've got a hankering to transfer some old
> data onto Fedora, and I'd rather not have to try getting Samba working
> with Miami over a serial port link.  Ugh, torture!

Of course, there is even an Amiga SFS driver available if you look
for it. It reads both my 18 G main hard disk with "odd" formatting
and the 2k per block Fujitsu Magneto Optical disks I have. (My odd
formatting embeds the "RDBs" (Amiga's partition blocks) within the
first partition within reserved space just to prove it could be
done and make sure regarding how to make it safe. There were more
tricks I could pull that I did not do because of their inherent risk
to the system. There is nothing preventing the RDBs from being
embedded within a normal file on the system other than the risk
factor.)

{^_-}   A doubly linked list file system and partitioning system
        allows "interesting things to happen."