Re: Web Page Watcher

Paul Lemmons wrote:
There is a particular web page that I would like to watch and have an email sent to me if it changes. I have looked and programs that can do that for Windows but so far have not met with success finding a program for Linux. Freshmeat and Sourceforge both had old programs that appear to no longer be available. Anybody else out there doing this?

I guess it would be feasible to write a C program using a socket to access the site in question, and read its contents in raw material form (with all the HTML tags). This is really no big deal, I have done this more than once. It is also a simple task to write a program stripping the HTML input of all its HTML tags, leaving you with the naked information. This could further be compared to the contents of a file in which you have stored the previous information on the same web-page, and the program could set up a flag and notify you if there are changes in the items that you are watching. This C-program could be a cron-job starting at regular intervals, or you could use the sleep function, and let it wake up to perform its task at regular intervals at your convenience,

PA