Web Page Watcher

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Fri Oct 6 16:35:31 UTC 2006

I don't mind sharing at all. I have never seen code shared on this list,
though, so there must be some other means that won't bring flames of
list netiquette down upon me. If anyone wants to suggest a means to do
this that is cool with everybody, I am willing. If not just send me a
note and I will send you the script.

For anyone who is interested, the script will watch any number of pages
and will report via email if it changes. It is run via cron on whatever
period you wish. Daily is probably often enough. It has two modes of
watching. The first simply compares the page you are seeing now with the
one you saw the last time you looked. The second method only compares
the links within the page. I am using the script to watch a page for
updates for a particular program I use. I don't care about dates or
verbiage on the page, only the link.

As I wrote the script only yesterday and have spent upwards of two whole
hours on it, it is not very mature and was really written to address my
personal needs. There is no configuration file. The setup is done by
modifying variables in the script. For me, editing the script or editing
an external configuration file is mox-nix, though I may add a config
anyway just because.

As I was writing there were a number of things that I thought might be
good additions but have not been written into the script yet. So, the
script is probably not done.

If you are still interested, just let me know.