Is there a "yum re-install"?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 7 00:31:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 00:22:26 +0200
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel at todo-linux.com> wrote:

> Beside that, I don't know how some files could dissapear that way ;-)

This is one of the essential mysteries of computers: Why does the
standard tech support advice "try reinstalling the software" actually
work sometimes? I've seen it correct problems on both Windows and
Linux, so it isn't even an OS-centric thing.

You'd think copying some files onto the disk would be one of the simplest
operations to get right, and if computers can't even do that correctly,
how do they manage to do vastly more complex activities?

It truly is a mystery. Perhaps someday a unified field theory will
emerge to explain not only this, but also the mysterious force that
deflects golf balls from holes and trash from trash cans :-).