network route

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 21:25:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 21:19 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 05:12 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > If someone would, would you try to hit my webserver to let me know
> > if this works? If www.wayward4now.net doesn't hit then try
> > iam.wayward4now.net and see if the pages make it. I don't see where to
> > set an alias on the modem. Port 80 ought to make the trip though.
>
> Both sub-domains worked.  I am curious whether the domain name is
> off-putting or appealing to those you're aiming it at.

So far, appealing to my target group, as we've been in the same places
and that change is not only good but possible. Remember on the Caldera
List when I was wayward at wayward.net? Well, I'm just wayward4now and can
improve. That's a marked advance in my personal philosophies, from then,
according to my perspectives.

> For what it's worth, some modems will need special configuration to pass
> an incoming connection through, some don't.  It might depend on the
> mode.  Modems in a pass-through or bridge mode ought to just work, it's
> the computer behind them that needs configuring.  Those modems running
> in NAT *may* need configuration, but some don't (I've seen one that
> tries to help out with connections, rather than tries to act as a
> firewall).

This one, a Westtell 6000 series, can be set to any number of ports to
pass to my server, so it acts as a firewall as well. This is better than
beating on my server and routes and all of that stuff I was trying to
do. I gave up fighting it and found how to get along with it, now I am
happy. I got one helluva education by it. I thank you for your
patience!! It's tough when you think you have a grasp on a subject and
find it doesn't work the way you feel it ought. Or, it does work, but
only half-assed. Don Quixote has nothing on me.

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/