FC5 and SCSI

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Mon Oct 9 11:06:04 UTC 2006

> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:07 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
>> Jeff Vian wrote:

>> > If the scsi module was not previously loaded then the initrd did not
>> > know how to configure the new adapters.   Using scsi on the kernel line
>> > told it to load the scsi modules.
>> >
>> > The servers that had scsi installed when the OS was installed already
>> > 'knew' about the modules needed.  A server that did not already have
>> > scsi installed would not automatically load the module so you had to
>> > tell the kernel scsi was needed.
>> >
>> > To fix that you need to make sure the scsi module is loaded either from
>> > the kernel line or from a line in modprobe.conf for now. A kernel
>> > update
>> > done after the scsi module is active should put it into the initrd
>> > image
>> > and should automatically handle that afterward.
>> >

>> Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> Does that mean if I install Fedora using 'linux scsi' then it will use
>> an initrd with scsi drivers installed in the image ?
>
> AFAIK it should.  Maybe someone with experience will chime in, but try
> and see. The worst that can happen is it fails again.

I cannot be bothered to do another install.

What I found very off was doing a full install then ending up with a machine
that will not boot after UDEV, very disconcerting, all because of a missing
scsi on the startup line.

Why the machine hangs when a scsi card in inserted but not installed I do
not know.

Aaron