fc 5: problems installing kino package

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Oct 9 12:19:05 UTC 2006

On Mon October 9 2006 7:48 am, Pawel wrote:
> I did the following:
>
> root# yum update --enable=livna mjpegtools
According to man livna, the correct command is:
yum [options] [command] [package ...]
In the above case, additionally, from man yum:
--enablerepo=repoidglob

So, IIRC, you should have done:
yum --enablerepo=livna update mjpegtools

Of course, the above is no guarantee that you will end up with the
mjpegtools package from Livna - yum will pick the most recent
package it can find, and if there's a more recent package on
Dries or Freshrpms, then it will install that with your command.

That's why I use the GUI's Smart and Yumex - it makes it easier in
my view, to turn off, in your case, the Dries and Freshrpm repos,
and turn on Livna; then hit the refresh button so you download
all the latest rpm lists; then, install Kino . With your repos
configured that way, it should pull in the correct dependencies -
if it can't it will complain and tell you why. I just installed
Kino in this exact way about 3-4 days ago. It's possible, if
you've had Dries/Freshrpms turned on at the same time as Livna,
that you've created conflicts, so you might have to uninstall
something to make it all work. According to Stanton Findley who
you cited earlier, and many others, mixing those repositories on
a regular basis can lead to conflicts. I haven't, to my
knowledge, ever created package conflicts using those repos, but,
I never have all three turned on at the same time, so I can't
speak personally to the problem.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA