Is it possible to create missing device node in /dev

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Oct 9 13:21:07 UTC 2006

Is it possible to create a missing device node in /dev?

This is all to do with bttv, and the Hauppauge Win TV Express card that I'm
having great fun with. (That's sarcasm). It works ok on FC3, and Kubuntu, but
since setting the option (I think) for automute=0, which has got sound
working on all channels, even the weak ones, when booting up FC2, bttv no
longer autoloads at bootup, and I have discovered the "video4linux" device
node is missing in /dev.

I can load bttv manually with modprobe, and TV works ok in FC2. I also booted
up the 3rd instance of FC2 today, which hasn't been booted up since the
Hauppauge card was installed. Kudzu identified the card, and configured
it. /etc/modprobe.conf has an entry for "alias char-major-81 bttv" , but
again no device node for "video4linux" in /dev.

QUESTION:
Is there something I can run in FC2 that might create this missing node?

FC2 doesn't seem to use udev, so that excludes the possible fix I saw for
replacing missing nodes by restarting udev.

One step forward and two back with this card, at least using it on multiple
distros.

Any help really welcome.

Nigel.