Re: Web Page Watcher

Ok, I have considered it now and it would be fairly easy to accomplish. I am not sure it would be valuable though. There is a significant amount of data in the headers that is different every time the page is called. Are there particular fields that are only updated when the content of the page has changed? Or were you looking for something else completely?

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Web Page Watcher
From: Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: 10/07/2006 09:55 PM

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 09:35 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
For anyone who is interested, the script will watch any number of
pages and will report via email if it changes. It is run via cron on
whatever period you wish. Daily is probably often enough. It has two
modes of watching. The first simply compares the page you are seeing
now with the one you saw the last time you looked. The second method
only compares the links within the page.

Have you considered just comparing HTTP headers?

begin:vcard
fn:Paul Lemmons
n:Lemmons;Paul
org:Tucson Medical Center;Information Services
adr:;;5301 E. Grant Road;Tucson;AZ;85712;USA
email;internet:paul lemmons tmcaz com
title:Lead Systems Software Engineer
tel;work:520-324-1034
tel;fax:520-324-1206