system-config-httpd vs /etc/httpd/conf.d

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Oct 9 19:47:02 UTC 2006

In the recent past we have recommended system-config-httpd to novice
administrators to assist them in setting up virtual hosts.  It is allot
easier to use and understand than the 'webmin' equivalents (IMNSHO).

However, with a fully updated FC5 this no longer works.  I am not
certain which version of what broke it.

The symptoms are:

    1.   system-config-httpd creates a monolothic
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file.
    2.   The virtual hosts (by name) are ignored.
    3.   Cut and paste the virtual hosts section(s) into file(s) in
/etc/httpd/conf.d and all is well.
    4.   No means of configuring system-config-httpd to use
/etc/httpd/conf.d is apparent.

Any advice, or good options (NOT webmin)?