autofs in rawhide

Hey all,

I have a weird problem, since a while autofs did not want to work
with /net/gate anymore. gate is the name of one of my computers. Before
it always worked just fine and i could access /net/gate/home/erwin to
get my home dir from that machine via NFS.
After a while i found out that when i add  "192.168.2.1 gate gate" to my
hosts file it works again.

The question is is it normal that the host name must be in /etc/hosts
before autofs will work with nfs ?

TIA,
Erwin