twinview and other related questions

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Wed Oct 11 21:42:50 UTC 2006

Bonjour,

I run FC4 on my laptop with a nvidia graphic card. I use nvidia driver
from nvidia, but I think that the problem will be the same if I used
livna nvidia driver.

nvidia card is GeForce Go 6600

I want to connect a beamer and get display on both LCD panel and "CRT"
(beamer).

My LCD panel has 1280x800 resolution (15"4)
The beamer has 1024x768 resolution

First solution: use of TwinView; here is my xorg.conf file:

<snip>  system configation
</snip>

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
         Option       "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"
         Option      "TwinView" "on"
         Option      "MetaModes" "CRT-0: 1024x768 @1280x800,  DFP-0:
1280x800"
#       Option      "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "off"
         Option      "HorizSync"   "CRT-0: 50-100;  DFP-0: 31.5-90"
         Option      "VertRefresh" "CRT-0: 60-120;  DFP-0: 60"
         Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
#       Option      "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
         Option      "DPI" "90 x 95"
EndSection

<snip>

The last "option" has no effect; it is an attemp, without success, to
solve my problem:  I want to have a full display on each "screen"; with
this configuration, display is correct on LCD panel but on projector
display parts are missing which I can display using the mouse.

Question: is it possible to have the same screen display, on LCD *and*
on bearmer screen?

Second solution: use of multiple screens; here are the parts I changed
in xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Multihead layout"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" Above "Screen1"
         Screen      1  "Screen1"
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
         Option      "Xinerama" "off"
         Option      "Clone" "on"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "Monitor 1024x768"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor1"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 90
         VertRefresh  60 - 60
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"
         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
         Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard1"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"
         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
         Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     16
                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen1"
         Device     "Videocard1"
         Monitor    "Monitor1"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1280x800" "1024x768"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

</end>

With this configuration, I have two *different* screen: the Beamer is
above the the LCD panel (the mouse goes without any problem from one to
the other), each resolution is correct: I have full screen display on
both (Beamer and LCD)  but the display is not the same: I can open a
graphical application on beamer which is not seen on LCD and
"vice-versa"....

I don't understand what is the meaning of the "Clone" option in
Section "ServerLayout"....

Is there a way to have exactly the same screen displayed, with different
resolutions, in order to have the same display on both display screens:
beamer and LCD?

I hope to be clear enough....

Thanks for help.
--