networking setup on laptops: FC4 vs. FC5 (how will FC6 do it?)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Oct 12 02:18:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Peter Teuben wrote:

> with the upcoming upgrade to FC6 i recall that on my laptop FC4 has this
> "nice" feature it would restart dhcp whenever i had put the machine to
> suspend and opened it again. That meant travelling between home and work it
> was "just" opening the laptop and I was online.
>
> With FC5 that disappeared for me, now i have to explicitly click buttons,
> or do "ifdown eth0; ifup eth0"  (i.e. the device didn't even shut down).
>
> I suppose the FC4 method would make more sense. I looked at
> /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmscript for both FC4 and 5, but they're
> the same. Or is this a configuration option in FC5 that i haven't
> discovered yet?

One word: NetworkManager.

Well, two words strung together with the space between deleted, but who's
counting?

 	# chkconfig network off
 	# chkconfig NetworkManager on
 	# service NetworkManager start

should do it, IIRC.  If not, write back.

NetworkManager is a really cool tool!

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences