Re: WiFi works automatically with NetworkManager, but not manually with wpa_supplicant?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
Everything's set up properly AFAICT, and WiFi connects fine with
NetworkManager, but if I disconnect and try to reconnect manually with
wpa_supplicant, I get the following error:

]# wpa_supplicant \
-c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf \
-i eth1 \
-D ndiswrapper

"Association request to the driver failed"

The full log is here:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/filez/wpa.log.txt

The wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
        ssid="Genesis-WiFi"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk=*********
}

I'm using the bcmwl5 (Broadcom) ndiswrapper driver, on FC5 x86_64.

Like I said, WiFi *does* work (when activated using NetworkManager), but
manually running wpa_supplicant fails.

Also "service wpa_supplicant start" just produces a heap of errors like:

Starting wpa_supplicant: ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP

How do I specify the device and interface in the wpa_supplicant
configuration file, for the benefit of starting it as a service? The man
page says nothing about that.

/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

--

   ronald