Permissions

Johan Boshoff jboshoff at rpc.co.za
Thu Oct 12 13:13:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am new to this group and fairly new to Administering Linux even though I
am a System Administrator for the past 3 years working with Linux.  But as
you all know...3 years Linux experience is not always enough!  Hehe!

Anyway, I did something realy stupid the other day without realising what I
was doing.  I wanted to change a folders permissions, owner and group within
the /var folder and by accident (not concentrating...) I changed the whole
/var folder's permissions to 0777 and the owner as root and the group root.
And I did it recursively!  Now everything is a mess and some of my programs
like sendmail, clamav spamass-milter, etc does not want to work.

Now, there are alot of domains and email acocunts on the system so I can't
really reload even though I know that is about the only way to do that.

I need urgent help!  Please, anyone with any ideas, please, this is your
chance to help someone in desperate need!

Thanks!
Johan