twinview and other related questions

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:07:43 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:
> Rob Brown-Bayliss a écrit :
> > On 10/12/06, François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to have exactly the same screen displayed, with different
> >> resolutions, in order to have the same display on both display screens:
> >> beamer and LCD?
> >

> > Your best chance is to have the lcd run at the 1024x768 resolution and
> > then use the clone screen option so that each screen shows the same
> > image.  The next best option is to have part of the second screen not
> > showing.
> >
> > Sorry mate, but a pixle is a pixle, and if you want to show 1280x800
> > you ned a display capable of 1280x800...
>
> Arrgh! this was my conclusion too, but it is very frustating to be able
> to have two different resolutions (with double head configuration) on
> each device and unable to set one device as a "clone" (reformated) of
> the other...

Actually, what you can do is setup a panning domain, which will allow
you to clone both displays, yet have them run in different modes.  See
the driver README for more details and/or upgrade to 1.0-9625 and use
nvidia-settings to set it all up with the GUI.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org